VisitEngland’s Christmas Trip Tracker Survey reveals that 11.7 million Brits (23% of the adult population) are planning an overnight holiday trip in the UK this Christmas and New Year, with 9.7 million people (19%) planning an overnight trip in England.
Brits holidaying at home are likely to generate some £2.3bn in tourism spend for the UK economy during this time, £1.9 billion of which will be spent in England.
VisitEngland Chief Executive Sally Balcombe said:
“It’s fantastic to see so many people planning to holiday at home over the festive season and with so much on offer throughout the country people are spoiled for choice. From winter walks in England’s beautiful countryside to delighting the senses with cultural offerings in bustling cities, there is truly something for everyone this Christmas in the UK.”
The Trip Tracker survey shows that 15% of Brits have yet to decide if they will take an overnight trip during the season and among those definitely planning an overnight trip in England over a third are planning on taking two or more trips over the period.
Notes to Editors
What’s on over Christmas:
- Lighting up Blenheim Palace with the new Christmas Trail, Oxfordshire - 25 November 2016 - 2 January 2017
- Norwich, The City of Stories presents Christmas Projections and the UK’s first immersive ‘Tunnel of Light’, Norwich - 17 November 2016 - 5 January 2017
- The Stage is set for a Magical Christmas at Chatsworth: The Nutcracker, Derbyshire - 5 November 2016 – 3 January 2017
- Winchester Cathedral Ice Rink, Winchester - 18 November 2016 - 2 January 2017
- Festive Fun Fit For A Tudor Queen This Christmas, Hampton Court Palace, London - 27 December 2016 – 1 January 2017
About VisitEngland’s Christmas and New Year Trip Tracker Survey
- The Trip Tracker survey was carried out on behalf of VisitEngland by research agency TNS and interviewed 1,246 adults aged 16+ across the country.
- For more ideas and inspiration on how to get the best out of a holiday or day trip in England, whatever the weather, visit: www.visitengland.com.
- VisitEngland commissions online omnibus surveys periodically in order to collect data on the number of GB consumers who plan to take an overnight trip at key times throughout the year.
- In this December edition, the survey was carried out on an online omnibus by TNS, with a representative sample of 1,246 adults aged 16 and over in Great Britain.
- The fieldwork for the survey took place between the 8th and 12th December
- Trip volumes are based on an adult (16+) population of 50.9m in GB (Office for National Statistics).
- For the full report, visit: https://www.visitbritain.org/bank-holiday-trip-tracker