We are the national tourism agency, a non-departmental public body funded by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport (DCMS). We were established by the Development of Tourism Act 1969 and we undertake Britain-wide and England-specific activity respectively under the brands “VisitBritain” and “VisitEngland”. This is in accordance with the 2015 Spending Review which brought VisitBritain and VisitEngland structurally closer together, with accountability for delivery of England and Britain into the remit of a single body under the BTA.
Our statutory duties are to:
- Encourage people to visit Great Britain and people living in Great Britain to take their holidays there.
- Encourage the provision and improvement of tourist amenities and facilities in Great Britain.
- We also have a statutory duty to advise any minister or public body on matters relating to tourism in Great Britain as a whole.
The tourism industry has been one of the first and hardest hit sectors by COVID-19. As Britain’s seventh largest export industry, before the pandemic tourism was worth £127 billion to Britain’s economy. Inbound tourism’s economic contribution was valued at £26.2 billion.
Our role is to drive immediate tourism recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic, by building back visitor spend as quickly as possible and supporting the industry.
We know that inbound tourism is an extremely competitive global industry, and we are going to need to be out there competing for visitors and ready to sell Britain. There is a need to boost consumer confidence both domestically and internationally, and to support our industry so we are ready to welcome back visitors as soon as the time is right.
Our corporate priorities for 2022/23
- Rebuild international visitor value - position Britain as a dynamic, diverse, sustainable and inclusive destination, prioritising regional and seasonal dispersion and improved productivity.
- Build our future - transform the way we work to compete in a digital world, build our strengths in data and diversify our funding.
- Build the English visitor economy - lead and enable a sustainable and resilient visitor economy in England.
- Build our influence - be the trusted voice in tourism. Support growth by shaping policy and providing insights.
- Build our team - work as a global team. Ensure our structure and skills best deliver on the strategy.