Information for EU, EEA and Swiss citizens visiting the UK from 1 January 2021

11 January 2021

This page links you to the key information available from the UK Government. 

EU nationals working in the tourism industry

EU, EEA or Swiss citizens who live and work in the UK and arrived before 31 December 2020 can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. People who arrive on or after 1 January 2021, may need to apply for a visa instead.

Advice for visitors

Entering the UK

What EU, EEA and Swiss citizens need to enter the UK will not change until 1 October 2021.

Before that date, EU, EEA or Swiss citizens, can continue to travel to the UK for holidays or short-term trips, without needing a visa.

A valid passport or a national identity card will need to be shown by citizens:

After 1 October 2021, EU, EEA or Swiss citizens will need a valid passport to enter the UK.

EU, EEA or Swiss citizens can continue to use their national ID card to enter the UK until at least 31 December 2025 if they:

  • have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme
  • have a frontier worker permit
  • are an S2 Healthcare Visitor
  • are a Swiss Service Provider

Business travel to the UK

EU, EEA or Swiss Citizens travelling to the UK for a short business trip, may not need to apply for a visa.

Under the UK’s new points-based immigration system, EU, EEA or Swiss Citizens can continue to visit the UK without applying for a visa. In most cases people can stay for up to 6 months. They may participate in a wide range of activities including business-related activities such as meetings, events and conferences. People may enter the UK multiple times during that period but you may not live in the UK by means of frequent or successive visits.

Business visitors cannot:

  • do paid or unpaid work for a UK company or as a self-employed person
  • do a work placement or internship
  • sell directly to the public or provide goods and services

Read more about visiting the UK on a business trip, check the Visitor Rules and see the full list of business and academic activities that can be undertaken as a visitor to the UK.

School travellers entering the UK

Guidance for school children entering the UK as part of a school group, which covers school children who are of a non-EU, EEA or Swiss nationality is available on This explains the steps leaders of school parties must take before bringing school children to the UK as part of a school group from the EU, EEA or Switzerland, if they would normally need a visa to enter the UK. The List of Travellers scheme  will not be able to be used to visit the UK from 1 October 2021.

Further information for EU, EEA or Swiss citizens visiting the UK can be found on including information on: