Aims and Objectives
The Fund is a new pilot programme for UK-based operators with proven experience of working in international markets. Working in collaboration with local industry in the chosen gateway destination or region, prospective applicants will need to develop an international consumer marketing campaign (or activation) that showcases the very best of that region, to a buzz-seeker audience motivating them to travel in 2023.
In headline, VisitBritain is seeking applications from those who will be able to:
- Promote and market your gateway/region experiences to an international consumer audience to drive incremental consideration to visit your destination in 2023.
- Deliver a fully integrated consumer facing marketing campaign or activation to promote a gateway/region to consumers in one of the following GREAT markets. France, Germany, Spain, member-states of the Gulf Co-operation Council (GCC) Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates (UAE) or The United States.
- The lead applicant must inspire and rally local industry to get involved, plan and deliver this campaign on behalf of the gateway destination or region;
- Augment the gateway/region marketing campaign budget with additional funding made up of cash and marketing in kind to the value of 2:1 (for every £1 from the fund, you must provide £2 in value)
- Provide post-campaign quantitative evaluation results from the executed marketing activities, in particular showing the actual value (monetary GBP equivalent) and volume (number) of consumer bookings generated from incremental visitors to the gateway destination or region in 2023.
The Fund is a competitive grant scheme and will operate from 1 November 2022 to 31 May 2023 with a total budget allocation of up to £750,000. We expect that successful applicants will deliver marketing activities during the key consumer booking period from January to May 2023.
Supported types of marketing activity
The Fund will support sales and marketing activities and include activities, such as:
- Media buy with a third-party media owner (you will need access to a media agency).
- Development and delivery of an event/s to have in-market.
- Development and delivery of an influencer trip or activation from relevant market.
- B2B2C communication activities through third party tour operators and travel agencies.
- Other third-party marketing costs may be considered at the discretion of VisitBritain (i.e. third-party bespoke email development or targeted data purchase) but approval must be obtained prior to entering into spending commitments with the third party.
Who can apply?
The Fund is open to the following types of businesses, defined as follows:
A destination management organisation (DMO) based in either England, Scotland or Wales. This category includes local authority tourism services departments.
UK based tourism supplier is any tourism business that offers services or experiences that are offered primarily to international leisure visitors in the destination, such as tourist accommodation providers, tour operators and experience providers.
A transport carrier whether an airline, a ferry company or a railway tunnel operator.
Applicants must have a permanent place of business in either England, Scotland or Wales (i.e. a registered office in either of these jurisdictions at Companies House). Please note that the home offices of individual employees would not be considered valid business addresses and therefore would be ineligible to apply.
How to apply?
Eligible applicants should complete an application form and send it along with the supporting documentation to InnovationGatewayFund@visitbritain.org. Applications must be emailed to us and arrive no later than 11.59hrs (UK time) 28 October 2022 in order to be considered for funding. Any applications received after this time will not be considered. Applications will not be assessed on a first come first served basis but rather against the eligibility and scoring assessment criteria.
Please note, all project stages must be delivered and completed by the final deadline. Activity must be completed by 31 May 2023.