At the centre of the programme is the GREAT China Welcome Charter which helps Chinese visitors easily identify hotels, attractions, retailers and tour operators that are making themselves ‘China-ready’ by providing information in Mandarin or Cantonese and adapting their products for the Chinese market and culture.
Members of the charter are also given priority access to opportunities to reach the market and connect with Chinese customers. Effectively it’s a partnership between VisitBritain and those British tourism businesses who are committed to providing exceptional service to Chinese travellers.
There is currently no charge for joining the charter.
Here is a directory of the current members of the GREAT China Welcome Charter.
There is no formal assessment but businesses will need to provide firm evidence that they already provide one or more of the following:
- A product or a service that is of genuine interest to potential Chinese visitors and meets their distinct cultural needs and expectations
- First-hand experience of welcoming Chinese visitors within the past two years
- Mandarin or Cantonese speaking staff
- Translated websites, apps or literature
- Visitor information or signage in Mandarin or Cantonese
- Visitor-facing staff who have undergone training about Chinese culture and etiquette
- Facilities for customers to pay using China UnionPay
- Some form of formal collaboration with a peer organisation in China
- Businesses can be privately or publicly owned and there is no minimum size
All applications for the Charter are subject to review by VisitBritain’s China-UK business development team.
Businesses who sign up to the GREAT China Welcome Charter effectively agree to:
- Continue to offer products and services that provide a world-leading welcome to Chinese visitors
- Tell their staff about the Charter and ensure they are familiar with Chinese culture and etiquette
- Keep up-to-date with major trends in the Chinese outbound tourism market and evolve products & services accordingly
- Share with VisitBritain any key insights gained from working with the Chinese market that might be beneficial to other British companies targeting the market
- Co-operate with other Charter members on any future initiatives that might help make Britain the most welcoming European destination for Chinese visitors
Costs and benefits
Signing the Charter costs nothing but the benefits are significant. As well as putting their name behind a campaign that is already gaining traction in China, businesses can use the GREAT China Welcome chartermark in their own collateral and receive regular updates about the Chinese market and upcoming opportunities. VisitBritain and our key partners also offer a number of exclusive benefits for Charter members, such as priority access to trade missions and networking opportunities.
How to sign up
Fill in the online registration form; after you've submitted your form we will review the information and get back to you shortly.