Summary of actions to take when dealing with flooding
The following provides timescale guidelines for actions to take following a flooding crisis:
- Assess your position
- Establish the facts
- Identify likely customer concerns
- Develop a Personal Flood Resilience Plan
- Liaise with your Destination Management Organisation (DMO) / tourism associations
- Work with your DMO to identify and support their plans & messages
- Identify useful partners
- Develop your own messages
- Share messages with staff, supporters & local businesses
- Contact your customer directly
- Update your website, share messages through social media & undertake press activity
- Review marketing activity
- Review your offer
- Continue communicating with customers
- Seek endorsements
Your business position
- Review your costs/expenses
- Seek financial support & advice
- Consider your current position & plan for the future
- Update your website
- Thank customers for their support
- Review your marketing activity
Other sections in the 'Dealing with floods' toolkit
Assessing the flood situation
An overview of factors to assess when determining the impact of flooding on your business.
Working with others during a flood event
Who you should contact locally and what you need to find out.
Communicating with customers during a flood
A six-step guide to keeping in touch with your customers and being pro-active in your communications.
Cancellations and refunds due to flooding
Your legal rights if you have to cancel bookings due to flooding.
Addressing the future impact of flooding
Guidance on mitigating the future impact of flooding on your business.
Returning to normal after flooding
It is important to keep your website and customers up to date.
Further support for dealing with flooding
Where to go for further help, including any funding schemes available.