The Tourism Action Plan - One Year On, update identifies the progress made with the five key themes of; Tourism Landscape, Jobs and Skills, Transport, Common-sense Regulations and GREAT Welcome.
Areas we have directly contributed to the include:
- Delivery of year one and two of the Discover England Fund
- Business Events through the continued administration of the Event Support Programme
- Co-ordinating an industry proposal for a potential tourism sector deal
Jobs and Skills
- Continuing to improve our Business advice Hub
- Developing and publishing rail itineraries on our consumer and trade websites
- Publishing best practice 'final mile' guidelines, showcasing a number of different solutions for connecting transport hubs with accommodation and attactions
Tourism Action Plan
On 26 August 2016, the UK Government published the Tourism Action Plan an update on the five point plan. The plan includes a series of new initiatives and measures to help Britain out-compete other major tourism destinations, welcoming more visitors than ever before and see more staycations as Brits holiday at home.
The new initiatives
- Making travel easier with a new GREAT tourism rail offer, including five new easy to book rail itineraries to help tourists seamlessly travel around the UK.
- Addressing the industry’s seasonal nature through a flexible apprenticeship scheme that allows training to be completed over 16-18 months rather than 12, with breaks included.
- Cutting red tape with sensible regulation by changing licensing to allow B&Bs to offer a welcome drink, and modifying vehicle licensing will allow B&B owners to pick up visitors from train stations.
The Tourism Action plan sets out how the Government is delivering on its priorities
- The tourism landscape – including the restructuring of VisitBritain and VisitEngland and the announcement of the £40 million Discover England Fund
- Skills – boosting apprenticeships and attracting more people to careers in tourism
- Common sense regulations – examining the scope for deregulation
- Transport – making it easier for visitors to explore by rail, bus and coach
- A GREAT welcome – driving continuous improvements in the visa service