Fieldwork for this project took place in March-April 2022, with 29 markets in the sample. These markets were: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Southeast Asia (Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand), UAE, and the USA.
The webinar provided an overarching look at the initial insights from this project at a global level, some key take outs include:
- Demand is back for global tourism and Britain remains a priority destination, even for those who have recently visited.
- Britain's strengths as a destination of choice include its diversity of history and modernity in one, easy to navigate place.
- Value for money has become a dominant driver and tourists are looking for ways to mitigate financial risk in a post-pandemic environment.
- Inter-personal and digital intermediaries remain a key source of inspiration, information and trust throughout the stages of the tourism journey and package bookings remain particularly strong for some of our largest inbound markets.
Our biggest programme of ad hoc research moves on, with the publication of the MIDAS full findings report incorporating all key topic areas, and exploring insights at a market level. For more details download the full report (PDF, 7.3MB).
The following chapters are covered within the full MIDAS research report:
- Setting the Scene
- Appetite for Travel; Appetite for Britain
- Headwinds of Note
- Drivers and Motivations
- Britain's Perceptions & Brand Implications
- Products and Experiences
- The Visitor Experience
- Emerging Drivers: Sustainability, Wellbeing and Diversity & Inclusion
- The Customer Journey
- Pulling it all Together