GB Tourism Survey: 2019 Overview
2019 Domestic Overnight Tourism Performance Summary
In 2019, British residents took 99.1 million overnight trips in England, totalling 290 million nights away from home and expenditure of £19.4 billion,with an average trip length of 3 nights.
The number of domestic trips to England was +2% higher than in 2018.
Trends by trip purpose
46.4 million holiday trips were taken in England in 2019. The number of holiday trips taken was 3% higher than in 2018.
At 31.6 million, short breaks of 1-3 nights account for just over two-thirds of English holidays by volume. 14.8 million 4+ night holidays were taken.
14 million overnight business trips were taken in England in 2019. The number of business trips was +0% down on 2018.
Visiting friends and relatives (VFR)
The number of VFR trips taken increased by +2% in 2019, to 36.1 million.
Further detail about trip profiles and demographic characteristics can be found in our summary tables:
- England - All Trip Purposes 2019 (PDF, 323KB)
- England - Holidays 2019 (PDF, 316KB)
- England - VFR 2019 (PDF, 317KB)
- England - Business 2019 (PDF, 316KB)
- England - All Trips by Purpose Summary 2019 (Excel,48KB)
- GB - All Trip Purposes 2019 (PDF, 323KB)
- GB - Holidays 2019 (PDF, 316KB)
- GB - VFR 2019 (PDF, 314KB)
- GB - Business 2019 (PDF, 313KB)
- GB - All Trips by Purpose Summary 2019 (Excel,48KB)