English Tourism Week: 18-25 April 2020
Join a national campaign to support your industry
VisitEngland is proud to lead the annual English Tourism Week campaign, celebrating our exciting, diverse and vibrant sector and raising awareness of the enormous contribution English tourism makes to the UK economy.
Making up 80% of the UK’s visitor economy, English tourism generates £106 billion a year, supports 2.6 million jobs and is a major employer of school leavers and young people, as well as an incubator for entrepreneurs and innovation.
English Tourism Week (18-25 April 2020) provides an essential opportunity to raise awareness and the profile of the sector to key stakeholders, with VisitEngland working to support English destinations with political engagement nationally, regionally and locally.
The dates chosen for 2020 for the first time includes St. George’s Day, seamlessly tying England's national day to our industry and providing a strong media hook to showcase the tourism offer across England.
Each MP that takes time to visit their local tourism businesses is supported with the information they need to understand just how important tourism is in their local area. From site visits to round table discussions, ETW provides the spotlight to put tourism front of mind with key stakeholders and showcase the amazing work that goes on each and every day to build strong and resilient destinations.
In addition, through a long-standing partnership with The Mirror newspaper, Tourism Superstar is a competition that puts the spotlight on to those working frontline in the sector. Destination Management Organisations across England root out their true shining stars, who typify their area and showcase all that is good in visitor welcome and inspiration.
What's in it for me?
There are many benefits to participating in English Tourism Week. It can:
- Raise the profile and awareness of English tourism with decision-makers, the media, those who work or are considering a career in the industry
- Provide an opportunity to engage with your local stakeholders such as local MPs to bring attention to tourism’s contribution in your area
- Provide a national framework and a free marketing and communication “hook” for local destinations, businesses and organisations to build their own marketing and PR campaigns
- Increase awareness amongst domestic and overseas consumers of the value and quality of the English tourism offer and encourage domestic travel (eg. promote your #MyMicrogap opportunities)
Simple steps to get involved:
- A free English Tourism Week toolkit will soon be available online to help you engage with stakeholders.
- Invite local MPs or the Mayor to your business on Constituency Friday (24 April) to help them get “back to the floor” and find out more about your work and the local tourism sector.
- Use the hashtag #EnglishTourismWeek20 on social media to share facts and figures about tourism in your area and raise awareness of businesses in the area.
English tourism touches everyone – visitors, residents, businesses and destinations. It is one of the few sectors active in every part of the country.
English Tourism Week works best when everyone participates. So start planning today!