English Tourism Week 22-31 May 2021
Save the date for English Tourism Week which will take place on 22 - 31 May 2021.
VisitEngland is proud to lead the annual English Tourism Week campaign celebrating our diverse, exciting and vibrant sector, and showcasing the quality, range and value of English tourism to stakeholders. The week provides an essential opportunity to raise awareness of the sector to key stakeholders including MPs, with VisitEngland working to support English destinations with political engagement nationally, regionally and locally, and the recovery of the sector.
Making up 80% of the UK’s visitor economy, English tourism in 2019 generated £106 billion a year and supported 2.6 million jobs and is a major employer of school leavers and young people, as well as an incubator for entrepreneurs and innovation. It provides a spotlight to put tourism front of mind with key stakeholders and showcase the amazing work that goes on each and every day to build strong and resilient destinations. Local MPs will be supported with the information they need to understand just how important tourism is in their local area.
Last year's English Tourism Week (25-31 May 2020) focused on engagement with Government, MPs and other stakeholders, to support the recovery of English tourism and raise awareness of the importance, quality and value of the sector to the UK economy. The campaign was a great success with the hashtag #EnglishTourismWeek20 trending on Twitter, with a reach of 3.3m viewers. There was widespread engagement by industry and stakeholders posting their support for English tourism online, including at least 35 MPs across the political spectrum, including the Tourism Minister. The hashtag was also the most used by Conservative MPs that week. The week also gained widespread media coverage with nearly 300 stories spanning national and local press and broadcast outlets.
In addition, through a long-standing partnership with The Mirror newspaper, Tourism Superstar is a competition that puts the spotlight on to those working frontline in the sector. Destination Management Organisations across England root out their true shining stars, who typify their area and showcase all that is good in visitor welcome and inspiration. This year the competition will be on hold; however it is expected to return to normal in 2022.
English Tourism Week can:
- Provide an opportunity to engage with your local stakeholders such as local MPs to bring attention to tourism’s contribution in your area
- Increase awareness amongst domestic and overseas visitors of the value and quality of the English tourism offer and encourage domestic travel.
Further details of the week and how to get involved will be released in due course. Look out for a toolkit coming soon to help you get involved in #EnglishTourismWeek21 and show your support for English tourism:
- In the meantime, you can show your support for nglish tourism with the hashtag #EnglishTourismWeek21. Don’t forget to tag us @VisitEnglandBiz!
- Feel free to add a message of support too, eg “I support English tourism because ..XX…” (see examples* below or create one of your own)
- On #throwbackthursdays share photos and memories of your favourite holidays in England to celebrate the times and places we love.
- Also download the ETW logos (ZIP, 5.75MB) for use in your own messaging to encourage your local stakeholders to join in.
*Examples of supportive statements:
- “I support English tourism because of its importance to our culture and heritage #EnglishTourismWeek21 @VisitEnglandbiz”
- “I support English tourism because it employs more than 2.6m people in England #EnglishTourismWeek21 @VisitEnglandbiz”
- “I support English tourism because of great local businesses in my area such as [insert name] #EnglishTourismWeek21 @VisitEnglandbiz”