English Tourism Week 25-31 May 2020
English Tourism Week will take place on Bank Holiday Monday 25 May to Sunday 31 May. This year, the campaign's focus will be on engagement with Government, MPs and other stakeholders, to support the recovery of English tourism and raise awareness of the importance, quality and value of the sector to the UK economy.
VisitEngland is proud to lead the annual English Tourism Week campaign celebrating our diverse, exciting and vibrant sector, and showcasing the quality, range and value of English tourism to stakeholders. The week provides an essential opportunity to raise awareness and the sector's profile to key stakeholders including MPs, with VisitEngland working to support English destinations with political engagement nationally, regionally and locally.
Making up 80% of the UK’s visitor economy, English tourism generates £106 billion a year, supports 2.6 million jobs and is a major employer of school leavers and young people, as well as an incubator for entrepreneurs and innovation. provides a spotlight to put tourism front of mind with key stakeholders and showcase the amazing work that goes on each and every day to build strong and resilient destinations. Local MPs will be supported with the information they need to understand just how important tourism is in their local area.
In addition, through a long-standing partnership with The Mirror newspaper, Tourism Superstar is a competition that puts the spotlight on to those working frontline in the sector. Destination Management Organisations across England root out their true shining stars, who typify their area and showcase all that is good in visitor welcome and inspiration.
English Tourism Week can:
- Provide an opportunity to engage with your local stakeholders such as local MPs to bring attention to tourism’s contribution in your area
- Increase awareness amongst domestic and overseas visitors of the value and quality of the English tourism offer and encourage domestic travel.
Simple steps to get involved and show your support for English tourism:
- Join the campaign on social media - download the "I support English Tourism" sign (ZIP, 630KB) and tweet a selfie or short video with it along with the hashtag #EnglishTourismWeek20. Don’t forget to tag us @VisitEnglandBiz! You can also display the sign on your phone or tablet if you wish.
- Feel free to add a message of support too, eg “I support English tourism because ..XX…” (see examples* below or create one of your own)
- On #ThrowbackThursday (28 May) share photos and memories of your favourite holidays in England to celebrate the times and places we love.
- Also download the ETW Briefing with stats and facts about English tourism (PDF, 295KB) and the ETW logos (ZIP, 5.75MB) for use in your own messaging to encourage your local stakeholders to join in.
*Examples of supportive statements:
- “I support English tourism because of its importance to our culture and heritage #EnglishTourismWeek20 @VisitEnglandbiz”
- “I support English tourism because it employs more than 2.6m people in England #EnglishTourismWeek20 @VisitEnglandbiz”
- “I support English tourism because of great local businesses in my area such as [insert name] #EnglishTourismWeek20 @VisitEnglandbiz”
- “I support English tourism because it is the 3rd largest service export #EnglishTourismWeek20 @VisitEnglandbiz”
We will be sharing your posts across our social media channels during the week.