Where to find further information
Disclaimer: Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in the Pink Book of Legislation, we regret that we cannot be responsible for any errors. Read our full disclaimer.
Help with legislation
For further information on a specific area of legislation, contact the following organisations:
- Download a guide for business regulations.
Business support helpline
- The helpline provides a quick response service if you have simple questions about starting or running a business. It also provides a more in-depth service if you have more complex enquiries.
- Telephone: 0300 456 3565
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm
- The Law Society is able to provide you with a list of solicitors within your area. Your local DMO may also be able to give you names of suitable local firms.
Independent financial advisors
- The IFA consumer website is able to forward you a list of independent financial advisors, accountants or solicitor in your area.
These include the following:
Gas Safe Register
- Tel: 0800 408 5500
- Gas Safe Register website
OFGEM (The Office of Gas and Electricity Markets)
OFCOM (Office of Communications)
Tel: 0300 123 3333
The economic regulator of the water sector in England and Wales.
- Tel: 0300 034 2222
- OFWAT website
Waste and Resources Action Programme (WRAP)
- Tel: 0808 100 2040
- WRAP website
These include the following:
Bed and Breakfast Association
Tel: 01749 814908
British Activity Providers Association (BAPA)
The BAPA monitors safety standards and quality within the activity sector throughout the British Isles. BAPA also provides a detailed consumer guide which is available on request.
Tel: 01746 769982
British Holiday and Home Parks Association (BHHPA)
The BHHPA is the representative body of the parks industry including caravans, chalets, tents and all types of self-catering park accommodation.
Tel: 01452 526911
British Hospitality Association (BHA)
The BHA represents hotels (mostly 10+ rooms), restaurants and catering establishments, and distributes guidance notes to members.
Tel: 020 7404 7744
British Destinations represents the interests of resorts and destinations throughout the UK.
Tel: 0151 934 2285 / 2286
English Association of Self-Catering Operators (EASCO)
The EASCO is a trade association for self-catering operators, from individual owners through to the agencies and associations.
Tel: 020 7078 7329
Farm Stay UK Ltd
Farm Stay UK Ltd is a co-operative of 1200 farmers throughout the UK who provide serviced and self-catering accommodation on working farms.
Tel: 024 7669 6909
Tourism for All
Tourism for All, a national charity, is the UK s central source of travel and holiday information for disabled people, older people and carers.
Tel: 0845 124 9971
People 1st is the Sector Skills Council for the hospitality and tourism sector. It is the lead agency on all issues relating to education, training and qualification within the sector.
Tel: 020 3074 1222
National Caravan Council (NCC)
The NCC is the representative trade body for the UK caravan industry involved in setting standards and promoting quality. NCC operates the Product Approval Scheme for new caravans to ensure compliance with minimum health and safety standards.
Tel: 01252 318251
Publications Contact List
The publications mentioned within individual legislation sections are available from the following organisations:
Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Services (ACAS)
- National helpline: 08457 474747
- Orderline: 08702 42 90 90
- ACAS website
Advertising Standards Authority (ASA)
- Orderline: 020 7492 2222
- ASA website
Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC)
- Tel: 0808 800 0082
- EHRC website
Food Standards Agency (FSA)
- Address: Aviation House, 125 Kingsway, London WC2B 6NH
- Tel: 020 7276 8829
- FSA website
Health and Safety Executive (HSE)
Address: Redgrave Court, Merton Road, Bootle, Merseyside L20 7HS
Incident Contact Centre on 0845 300 9923 (Note: this can only be used to report serious or fatal accidents)
HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
- VAT Helpline: 0845 010 9000
- Employer Helpline: 08457 143 143
- HMRC website
- Address: 2 Marsham Street London SW1P 4DF
- Tel: 020 7035 4848
- Home Office website
Information Commissioner's Office (ICO)
- Address: Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
- Helpline: 0303 123 1113
- ICO website
Pay and Work Rights Helpline
- Tel: 0800 917 2368
- Pay and Work Rights website
TSO (formerly The Stationery Office)
- Address: TSO Customer Services, PO Box 29, Norwich, NR3 1GN
- Orderline: 0870 600 5522
- TSO website
Trading Standards Institute
- Consumer Direct helpline: 08454 04 05 06
- Trading Standards Institute website
Valuation Office Agency
- The VOA is now an agency of HMRC
- England tel: 03000 501501
- Wales tel: 03000 505505
- Valuation Office Agency website