Where to find further information

Disclaimer: Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in the Pink Book of Legislation, we regret that we cannot be responsible for any errors. Read our full disclaimer.

Help with legislation

For further information on a specific area of legislation, contact the following organisations:

Business Regulations

Business support helpline

The helpline provides a quick response service if you have simple questions about starting or running a business. It also provides a more in-depth service if you have more complex enquiries.

  • Telephone: 0300 456 3565
  • Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm

Legal advisors

The Law Society is able to provide you with a list of solicitors within your area. Your local Destination Organisation may also be able to give you names of suitable local firms.

Independent financial advisors

The IFA consumer website is able to forward you a list of independent financial advisors, accountants or solicitor in your area.


These include the following:

Gas Safe Register

OFGEM (The Office of Gas and Electricity Markets)

OFCOM (Office of Communications)

Tel: 0300 123 3333

OFCOM website


The economic regulator of the water sector in England and Wales.

Waste and Resources Action Programme (WRAP)

For any matters to do with collection of rubbish or recycling, contact your Local Authority.

Trade associations

These include the following:

Bed and Breakfast Association

Tel: 01749 814908


British Activity Providers Association (BAPA)

The BAPA monitors safety standards and quality within the activity sector throughout the British Isles. BAPA also provides a detailed consumer guide which is available on request.

Tel: 01746 769982


British Holiday and Home Parks Association (BHHPA)

The BHHPA is the representative body of the parks industry including caravans, chalets, tents and all types of self-catering park accommodation.

Tel: 01452 526911


British Destinations

British Destinations represents the interests of resorts and destinations throughout the UK.

Tel: 0151 934 2285 / 2286


Farm Stay UK Ltd

Farm Stay UK Ltd is a co-operative of 1200 farmers throughout the UK who provide serviced and self-catering accommodation on working farms.

Tel: 024 7669 6909


Holiday Home Association (HHA)

The HHA is a trade association for self-catering operators, from individual owners through to the agencies and associations.

Tel: 020 7078 7329


Tourism for All

Tourism for All, a national charity, is the UK's central source of travel and holiday information for disabled people, older people and carers.

Tel: 0845 124 9971


People 1st

People 1st is an employer-led skills and quality assurance expert for the hospitality and tourism sector. It is the lead agency on all issues relating to education, training and qualification within the sector.

Tel: 020 3074 1222


National Caravan Council (NCC)

The NCC is the representative trade body for the UK caravan industry involved in setting standards and promoting quality. NCC operates the Product Approval Scheme for new caravans to ensure compliance with minimum health and safety standards.

Tel: 01252 318251



UKHospitality represents accommodation providers, restaurants, catering establishments and leisure companies.

Tel: 020 7404 7744


Publications Contact List

The publications mentioned within individual legislation sections are available from the following organisations:

Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Services (ACAS)

  • National helpline: 08457 474747
  • Orderline: 08702 42 90 90  
  • ACAS website 

Advertising Standards Authority (ASA)

Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC)

Food Standards Agency (FSA)

Health and Safety Executive (HSE)

  • Incident Contact Centre on 0845 300 9923 (Note: this can only be used to report serious or fatal accidents)

HSE website

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)

  • VAT Helpline: 0845 010 9000
  • Employer Helpline: 08457 143 143
  • HMRC website

Home Office

Information Commissioner's Office (ICO)

Pay and Work Rights Helpline

TSO (formerly The Stationery Office)

Trading Standards Institute

Valuation Office Agency

The VOA is an agency of HMRC.