Run in conjunction with our partner, The Mirror, the campaign champions careers in tourism (for people of all ages) and promotes quality, customer service and excellence within England’s tourism industry.
Now in its ninth year, Tourism Superstar recognises and celebrates those individuals in the tourism industry who go the extra mile to ensure tourists in England have an amazing and unforgettable visitor experience. Tourism Superstar nominees are passionate about where they work and the destination they live in and consistently set the bar high for the standard of service in England's tourism industry.
Nominate your Tourism Superstar now
The competition is now open for destinations to nominate an individual from your local area for the award. Please see the key dates below. The deadline for nominations is 17 January 2020. Download the submission form (doc, 58KB)
Key dates for Tourism Superstar 2020
- 25 November 2019: VisitEngland’s Tourism Superstar 2020 competition opens
- 17 January 2020: Deadline for nominations
- 14 January 2020: Judging panel meets to select the 10 Tourism Superstar 2020 finalists
- 15 January 2020: The successful 10 individuals and respective DMOs will be informed that filming will start week commencing 20 January 2020
- Between 20 January - 7 February 2020: The 10 finalists will be filmed either in London or in their local area for the Mirror website – members of the public will then be able to watch the video and cast their votes. The films will also be shown on VisitEngland corporate and social channels
- 7 March - 21 April 2020: Voting begins on the Mirror website.
- 18 - 25 April 2020: English Tourism Week
- 23 April 2020 – St George’s Day. The winner will attend an event in London - details TBC
- 25 April 2020: Winner announced in Saturday’s Mirror
- The winner of VisitEngland’s Tourism Superstar 2020 will be invited to attend and receive their award at the VisitEngland Awards for Excellence 2020 ceremony in mid-June 2020 (exact date and venue TBC). Nigel Thompson Travel Editor at the Mirror and Reach Plc will present the award along with the reigning VisitEngland Tourism Superstar
- Over the course of the year the Superstar winner may be included in other VisitEngland events.
Watch: Our 2019 winner, Emily Hope of Beamish Museum, Durham, talks about being a Dementia Friends Champion, what winning meant for her, and why you should nominate:
All nominees will need to be willing and able to attend the filming in London or in their locality during January and February 2020, sign a waiver for the film rights and attend the VisitEngland Awards for Excellence 2020 ceremony in June 2020.
Last year the competition generated tens of thousands of votes and hundreds of pieces of local media coverage as well as the national media exposure secured through the Mirror partnership.
Please think carefully about your nominees, the most successful past winners have galvanised support from the local community in such a way that the destination has benefitted enormously from the exposure this generated both in the build-up and after the winner was announced.
In addition to filming for the Mirror’s online voting, the films of the 10 nominated Superstars will be used on VisitEngland’s corporate and social channels in the lead up to English Tourism Week. The destination, employers and nominees can also use the films. All nominated individuals will have to agree to the filming and to the use of the films on VisitEngland channels through signing a waiver.
Please send your completed submission form (doc, 58KB) to Charlotte.Sanders@VisitEngland.org by 17 January 2020.