Run in conjunction with our partner, the Daily Mirror, the campaign champions careers in tourism (for people of all ages) and promotes quality, customer service and excellence within England’s tourism industry.
Nominate your 2018 Tourism Superstar now
Now in its seventh year, Tourism Superstar recognises and celebrates those individuals in the tourism industry who go the extra mile to ensure tourists in England have an amazing and unforgettable visitor experience. Tourism Superstar nominees are passionate about where they work and the destination they live in and consistently set the bar high for the standard of service in England's tourism industry.
Nominations are now open for VisitEngland's Tourism Superstar award 2018. Please send us your nominations by 11 December 2018.
Key deadlines for 2018
- 11 December 2017: Deadline for nominations. Send your nomination to Charlotte.Sanders@VisitEngland.org
- 22 December 2017 or before: The successful individuals and respective DMOs will be informed they are in the top 10 and that they will need to come to London for filming in early January 2018
- Between 2-19 January 2018: Ten finalists will be filmed either in London or in their local area for the Mirror website and also for generic VistEngland’s films to be used on VisitEngland social channels both corporate and consumer.
- 5 February-14 March 2018: Drive to push voting on Mirror website
- 17- 25 March 2018: English Tourism Week
- 24 March 2018: Winner announced in Saturday’s Mirror
- 23 April 2018: ‘Tourism Superstar’ award presented at the VisitEngland Awards for Excellence 2018 ceremony
To qualify, the Tourism Superstar 2018 must:
- Work for a tourism business or organisation in England and continue to work for that organisation by the time of English Tourism Week (17-25 March 2018)
- Be knowledgeable and passionate about the destination they work in and happy to talk about the destination outside of their work remit
- Go above and beyond the call of duty to make a holiday experience to remember for visitors
- Be available and willing to travel to London during early January to be filmed and happy for that film to be posted on the Mirror website
- Be available to attend the VisitEngland Awards for Excellence on 23 April 2018
- Be aware that they have been nominated and happy to participate in any related PR and media opportunities during or post the announcement of the winner.
How it works:
- The 10 shortlisted candidates will be filmed either in London or in their local area in early January. Their mini films (30 seconds max) will be posted on www.mirror.co.uk in February and March 2018 which will open the public vote. They will essentially have between 10 and 30 seconds to say why they should be the Tourism Superstar 2018.
- There will also be longer films created of finalists for use on VistEngland’s channels, both consumer and corporate. The superstars will be filmed going about their daily roles as tourism ambassadors.
- The Mirror will publicise the online voting mechanism online and through the paper throughout the campaign and via Twitter.
- VisitEngland will promote the campaign via its various channels including consumer channels for the first time this year.
- Readers will vote on which Tourism Superstar they think should win.
- The most successful candidates in the past have been supported by robust destination-led media and social media campaigns throughout the voting process.
- The winner will be invited to attend VisitEngland Awards for Excellence to receive their award on 23 April 2018.
Meet our 2017 winner
Congratulations to Duane Dibartolomeo, owner of the Grosvenor Fish Bar in Norwich - the winner of this year's Tourism Superstar!
Duane was nominated by Visit Norwich who said: If being a superstar is about the personality, the level of service and going the extra mile to make a queue feel like an event, then Duane should definitely be nominated for this award. As for the fish and chips well they are legendary too!"
Duane said: "WOW! I am absolutely delighted to win this award. Thank you. I have such a fantastic time in the Fish Bar talking to all our customers and chatting about how great Norwich is and how to enjoy the best of the city - it doesn't feel like a job!
I am totally overwhelmed by the support from our customers and want to officially thank everyone for taking the time to vote. I especially want to thank the team at VisitNorwich who were always right behind me, talking on social media - drumming up votes - they did a fantastic job. Norwich is a wonderfully friendly, welcoming and beautiful city and I hope that in part this award helps encourage more people to visit to come along and visit."
A Miami native and long-time New Yorker, Duane brings America's famed excellent customer service approach to Norwich, welcoming each and every customer to his fish bar with wit, warmth and open arms. His warm, larger than life personality makes every customer feel the most important and, as well as entertaining the queue, he is full of information about the town itself, advising customers on what's happening in the area, where to shop and what to see.