2017 promises to be bumper year for book lovers everywhere with a host of English literary anniversaries to celebrate. That's why VisitEngland's theme for the year will be the “Year of Literary Heroes”. It is a great opportunity for you, the businesses, attractions and destinations, to let us know of any literary holiday connections you have that we can promote in our press activity and across our channels to visitors and consumers.
Some of the key events on the horizon include:
- 20th anniversary of the first publication of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- 50th anniversary of the death of Arthur Ransome, Suffolk/Lake District
- 75th anniversary of Enid Blyton's Famous Five
- 100th anniversary of poet, Edward Thomas's death, Hampshire
- 125th anniversary of the first publication of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
- 125th anniversary of the death of Alfred, Lord Tennyson, Lincolnshire
- 150th anniversary of the birth of Arnold Bennett, Stoke-on-Trent
- 200th anniversary of the death of Jane Austen
Email our press team if your destination or attraction has any literary "claims to fame" that you would like to see included in the year’s activity and use our branding toolkit of logos and images to get involved in the campaign.
And, why not tie any literary connections in your area with an event for book lovers during English Tourism Week (25 March - 2 April 2017)? Feel free to submit them to our online ETW events guide for visitors.