The group has been monitoring impact and sharing evidence of the issues facing the industry and business impact to help Government develop and shape support for tourism businesses at this crucial time. TIER is currently meeting on a weekly basis.
Most recent issues raised by members include:
- Planning for recovery and reopening and the need for clear guidance
- Extension of Government schemes for tourism industry past the end of June due to extended closure and lack of business
- Relaxation of the Package Travel Regulations to allow tour operators to offer credit notes is needed to help businesses survive
- More flexibility required on the staff retention furlough scheme to include seasonal workers and allow key staff to volunteer for their organisation or for the scheme to allow empoyees to work part-time.
- Broadening the self-employed scheme to include incorporated businesses, seasonal self-employed workers like tour guides and small accommodation businesses
- Identifying businesses who may not qualify for support and adjusting criteria to support as many of the industry as possible
- A clear and inclusive definition of the business types that make up the tourism industry so that Government reliefs/schemes are available to all constituents of the sector