Boosting Britain’s image overseas. Increasing the aspiration to travel here. Turning that aspiration into bookings. Encouraging visitors to explore the whole of Britain. Adding value to the UK tourism industry and the UK economy. These are the objectives behind our GREAT tourism campaign.
Showcasing GREAT Britain
Since 2011, we’ve been running an ambitious four-year £100 million match funded marketing programme, and a multi-million pound GREAT image campaign, working with Government and a vast range of partners, including Department for International Trade, Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO), the British Council and the Department for Culture, Media & Sport (DCMS).
Our image and tactical campaigns work hand in glove – our image campaign drives the aspiration to travel and our tactical campaign converts that aspiration into bookings.
Drawing on the key triggers for travel to Britain – culture, heritage, and countryside – alongside shopping, food, sport, adventure and music, the GREAT Britain campaign has three simple aims, to:
- Build awareness of Britain’s attractiveness as a tourism destination among those who have not yet visited Britain
- Encourage prior visitors to return
- Provide a series of opportunities and incentives – working in partnership with the private sector – to visit Britain now
Through the campaign, in 2015/16 we’ve generated:
- Over £800 million in additional visitor spend by overseas visitors
- £12.7 million in partner funding (cash and in kind) for our inbound activity.
- Continuing to fly the banner for GREAT Britain
We continue to deliver the tourism element of this campaign, building on our successes, to show the world that Britain is a great place to visit, study, invest and do business with, and secure a tourism legacy to deliver jobs and growth across the country.
Explore the highlights of our GREAT Britain campaign.