The GREAT China Welcome Charter allows Chinese visitors to easily identify which hotels, attractions, retailers and tour operators are ‘China-ready’. Effectively it’s a partnership between VisitBritain and those British tourism businesses that are committed to providing exceptional service to Chinese travellers.
Membership to the charter is currently free and there is no formal assessment but businesses will need to provide firm evidence that they already provide one or more of the following:
- A product or a service that is of genuine interest to potential Chinese visitors and meets their distinct cultural needs and expectations.
- First-hand experience of welcoming Chinese visitors within the past two years.
- Mandarin or Cantonese speaking staff.
- Translated websites, apps or literature.
- Visitor information or signage in Mandarin or Cantonese.
- Visitor-facing staff who have undergone training about Chinese culture and etiquette.
- Facilities for customers to pay using China UnionPay.
- Some form of formal collaboration with a peer organisation in China.
- Businesses can be privately or publicly owned and there is no minimum size.