GB Tourism Survey: 2018 Overview
2018 Domestic Overnight Tourism Performance Summary
In 2018, British residents took 97.4 million overnight trips in England, totalling 296 million nights away from home and expenditure of £19 billion,with an average trip length of 3 nights.
The number of domestic trips to England was 3% lower than in 2017.
Trends by trip purpose
45.2 million holiday trips were taken in England in 2018. The number of holiday trips taken was 4% lower than in 2017.
At 29.7 million, short breaks of 1-3 nights account for just under two-thirds of English holidays by volume. 15.5 million 4+ night holidays were taken.
14 million overnight business trips were taken in England in 2018. The number of business trips was 2% down on 2017.
Visiting friends and relatives (VFR)
The number of VFR trips taken declined by 3% in 2018, to 35.5 million.
Further detail about trip profiles and demographic characteristics can be found in our summary tables:
- England - All Trip Purposes 2018 (PDF, 323KB)
- England - All Trip Purposes 2018 (Excel, 34KB)
- England - Holidays 2018 (PDF, 316KB)
- England - Holidays 2018 (Excel, 33KB)
- England - VFR 2018 (PDF, 317KB)
- England - VFR 2018 (Excel, 33KB)
- England - Business 2018 (PDF, 316KB)
- England - Business 2018 (Excel, 33KB)