GB Tourism Survey: 2017 Overview
2017 Domestic Overnight Tourism Performance Summary
In 2017, British residents took 100.6 million overnight trips in England, totalling 299 million nights away from home and expenditure of £19 billion,with an average trip length of 3 nights.
The number of domestic trips to England was 1% higher than in 2016.
Trends by trip purpose
47.2 million holiday trips were taken in England in 2017. The number of holiday trips taken was 6% higher than in 2016.
At 31.4 million, short breaks of 1-3 nights account for two-thirds of English holidays by volume. 15.8 million 4+ night holidays were taken.
14.2 million overnight business trips were taken in England in 2017. The number of business trips was on par with 2016.
Visiting friends and relatives (VFR)
The number of VFR trips taken declined by 1% in 2017, to 36.6 million.
Further detail about trip profiles and demographic characteristics can be found in our summary tables:
- England - All Trip Purposes 2017 (PDF, 320KB)
- England - All Trip Purposes 2017 (Excel, 37KB)
- England - Holidays 2017 (PDF, 313KB)
- England - Holidays 2017 (Excel, 36KB)
- England - VFR 2017 (PDF, 314KB)
- England - VFR 2017 (Excel, 37KB)
- England - Business 2017 (PDF, 313KB)
- England - Business 2017 (Excel, 36KB)