GB Tourism Survey: 2016 Overview
2016 Domestic Overnight Tourism Performance Summary
In 2016, British residents took 99.3 million overnight trips in England, totalling 288 million nights away from home and expenditure of £18.5 billion,with an average trip length of 2.90 nights.
The number of domestic trips was 4% lower than in 2015.
Trends by trip purpose
44.7 million holiday trips were taken in England in 2016. The number of holiday trips taken was on par with 2015.
At 29.3 million, short breaks of 1-3 nights account for two-thirds of English holidays by volume. 15.4 million 4+ night holidays were taken.
14.1 million overnight business trips were taken in England in 2016. The number of business trips was on par with 2015.
Visiting friends and relatives (VFR)
The number of VFR trips taken declined by 9% in 2016, to 36.9 million.
Further detail about trip profiles and demographic characteristics can be found in our summary tables:
- England - All Trip Purposes 2016 (PDF, 335KB)
- England - All Trip Purposes 2016 (Excel, 32KB)
- England - Holidays 2016 (PDF, 341KB)
- England - Holidays 2016 (Excel, 32KB)
- England - VFR 2016 (PDF, 338KB)
- England - VFR 2016 (Excel, 33KB)
- England - Business 2016 (PDF, 339KB)
- England - Business 2016 (Excel, 33KB)
Most Visited Towns
The Most Visited Towns data is published using three-year averages, listing the most visited English towns by trip numbers and spend - in total, for holiday trips, and for business trips. The most recent data is for the three-year period from 2014-2016.
Local Authorities and other areas
For geographical areas of England (Local Authorities, Counties, Local Enterprise Partnerships (LEP) areas) data is published using three-year averages only. The most recent data is for the three-year period from 2014-2016.
An introduction to this analysis (Word, 269KB) is available HERE
The data is available in Excel as follows:
- Master Spreadsheet (Local Authorities, Counties, LEP areas) (Excel, 426KB)
- Local Authorities Spreadsheet (Excel, 354KB)
- Counties Spreadsheet (Excel, 68KB)
- LEP Spreadsheet (Excel, 45KB)
A combined spreadsheet has been produced for Local Authorities including data from both the GBTS survey (domestic overnight trips) and the GBDVS survey (day visits) to create a combined total of all domestic trips to Local Authorities.
Note: All year on year trends estimates are based on a comparison with a re-processed 2015 data. More detail about this can be found in this explanation document (PDF, 1.3MB).