GB Tourism Survey: 2016 Overview
2016 Domestic Overnight Tourism Performance Summary
In 2016, British residents took 99.3 million overnight trips in England, totalling 288 million nights away from home,with an average trip length of 2.90 nights.
The number of domestic trips was 3% lower than in 2015.
Trends by trip purpose
44.7 million holiday trips were taken in England in 2016. The number of holiday trips taken was 2% higher than in 2015.
At 29.3 million, short breaks of 1-3 nights account for two-thirds of English holidays by volume. 15.4 million 4+ night holidays were taken.
14.1 million overnight business trips were taken in England in 2016. The number of business trips rose by 2% year-on-year.
Visiting friends and relatives (VFR)
The number of VFR trips taken declined by 9% in 2016, to 36.9 million.
Holiday VFR saw growth in 2016 whilst so-called “duty” VFR decreased, with volumes increasing by 2% and decreasing by 24% respectively.
Further detail about trip profiles and demographic characteristics can be found in our summary tables:
- England - All Trip Purposes 2016 (PDF, 284KB)
- England - All Trip Purposes 2016 (Excel, 35KB)
- England - Holidays 2016 (PDF, 277KB)
- England - Holidays 2016 (Excel, 34KB)
- England - VFR 2016 (PDF, 281KB)
- England - VFR 2016 (Excel, 36KB)
- England - Business 2016 (PDF, 212KB)
- England - Business 2016 (Excel, 31KB)