Our award-winning digital platforms for both consumers and industry play a key role in our global marketing strategy, helping us to cut through the crowded digital landscape. The visitbritain.com website is a valuable hub of information for people looking to find out about Britain as a destination with over 800,000 visits in 2017/18, and our consumer channels achieved over 22 million page views in 2015/16.
Social media is a vital component of our marketing strategy. We’re strongly positioned on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Flickr, Pinterest, Instagram, WeChat and Weibo to engage actively with our target audience, ensuring they feel part of an engaged community.
On top of our consumer facing digital channels, this corporate site, our Twitter and LinkedIn profiles and our trade website (which won two awards for excellence this year) act as powerful tools to engage, support and connect with the industry.
Draw on our digital know-how to find out how your business can broaden its online reach.
Making your website work harder
It goes without saying that attaining an effective online presence for your business is increasingly important as worldwide usage and access to the internet grows.Take a few simple steps to help optimise your website for marketing your business:
- Ensure your site is easy to navigate, quick to load and easy to view on smartphones and tablets
- Use clear, straightforward language to get your message across
- Use keywords related to the goods or service your business offers to help consumers find your site through search engines
- Provide up-to-date, accurate information
- Include links to your business’s social networking profiles, as well as major tourism organisations and dedicated travel websites
Manage your own organisation listing on our Supplier Directory and Itinerary Builder and get your company noticed online by both UK and overseas trade.
Beyond our core channels, we connect and engage with potential visitors through social media. We rank first amongst our key competitors for our number of Twitter followers, and third for Facebook and Weibo fans.
On YouTube and Google+ we’re working with the GREAT central team to create the world’s leading social destination. We’ve also built our presence on Pinterest, Weixin, and Instagram, working with industry and government departments and agencies that promote Britain overseas to create original, informative, inspiring content such as the GREAT Britain Fashion series.
Across social media, we’ve experienced significant growth in 2017/18 on our channels:
- Facebook – VisitBritain audience grown by 100%
- Twitter – VisitBritain engagement increased by 369%
- Instagram – VisitBritain engagement increased by 252%
- Twitter – VisitEngland engagement increased by 220%
- Instagram – VisitEngland posts impressions increased by 249%
Our use of Pinterest won Best in Class at Travel + Leisure’s annual Social Media in Travel + Tourism (SMITTY) Awards 2014 in the US. Also in the US we were awarded Travel Weekly’s Gold Travel Magellan Award for Best Social Media Campaign for a Destination.