Industry leadership and advice
As well as being the Government’s expert on tourism, we also provide vital leadership and research to help the industry grow.
We recognise that realising Britain’s growth potential is not the job of just one organisation. So, we have continued to strengthen relationships with destination management organisations across England and our strategic partners: the national tourist boards for Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and London.
A structured programme of regular engagement - including the British Marketing Board, the Strategy Directors and six expert-to-expert working groups - ensures that we continue to cooperate effectively and build a shared agenda to address and respond to common issues affecting tourism.
With our strategic partners, we have developed a new high-level marketing plan for Britain which identifies how the national tourism boards can work together to deliver sustainable growth in the volume and value of inbound tourism, leisure tourism and business events.
We also chair a number of industry groups and bodies. Our quarterly meetings with the Welcome to Britain Group ensure government, tourist boards and industry stakeholders collaborate to give visitors the best possible first impression of Britain. In addition, the British Tourism Industry Group (BTIG) brings policymakers, industry and tourism bodies together to discuss key sector issues.
Strengthening partnerships with English destination management organisations, we organised several engagement sessions around the country: providing updates on the Discover England Fund as well as running two English Destinations Forum as a platform for exchanging information on strategic national and local tourism issues among destinations and other key industry players. Two newly created Rural and Coastal steering groups will ensure that the issues affecting these destinations are represented and encourage closer collaboration across the English tourism landscape.
Keeping the industry informed
Our dedicated industry website is a one-stop shop on English and British tourism for the industry, providing a wealth of official statistics and other market research and resources:
- Insights, research and statistics on inbound tourism to Britain and on the domestic tourism landscape for England
- Wide-ranging business advice and support
- Opportunities for destinations and businesses to reach international and domestic markets
- Support for English tourism businesses on hot topics such as visitor perceptions on key destinations
- Inbound market and customer-based insights and market profiles, alongside trend analysis
These materials enable the sector to adapt and grow and our has had over 1.2 million visits between October 2016 and August 2017.
We produced a regular industry newsletter, distributing it to over 13,000 recipients in 2016/17. Together we reached thousands of individuals and organisations through our Twitter and LinkedIn channels,
Our corporate/industry PR continued to position us as the go to experts on tourism matters – shaping the national media narrative by regularly communicating the value of tourism to the economy and raising the profile of the industry. Over 6,000 articles featured in the national, trade and international press – covering a range of our activities tas well as the latest tourism news.
Finally, we facilitated the Tourism Industry Emergency Response Group (TIER), which provided a coordinated response following the terror attacks in London and Manchester; including coordinating media lines to make it clear Britain and its attractions remained open for business, and providing coordinated impact assessment to government.
- Inbound tourism into Britain is due to grow at 3.8 per cent every year until 2025
- Tourism supports 3.1 million jobs and contributes 9% of UK GDP annually
- In 2016/17 we produced 20 in-depth Destination Reports revealing visitor perceptions of key tourism locations in England
- 13,000 people receive our dedicated industry newsletter
- VisitBritain’s LinkedIn page provides industry news and insight to 15,510 followers (update on 1 October)
- Our industry website achieved over 1.2 million unique page views between October 2016 and August 2017
- The #ETW17 hashtag was tweeted more than 13,000 times and achieved 125 million impressions